The position serves on the Executive Leadership Team for the Institute for Digital Health (IDHI) reporting to the Director of IDHI. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated results leading in an entrepreneurial or matrixed organizational environment with a focus on strategic growth, comfort with effectively managing change in an evolving organizational structure, and a facility for developing, executing, managing, and tracking business plans and milestones therein. The primary scope of work will be to oversee, plan, evaluate and direct operations of the Institute in accordance with UAMS Vision 2029 and its strategic objectives: 1) leverage status as Arkansas’ digital health leader by becoming a fully deployed health institution, 2) transform patient and partner experiences by offering digital health options, 3) raise digital health awareness across the state, 4) train all current and future health care providers to incorporate digital health into routine clinical services, and 5) expand digital health research at UAMS.
About the Institute for Digital Health
IDHI delivers real-time interactive video patient consultations, continuing medical education, and patient education to Arkansas. The institute represents the culmination of Arkansas’ digital health expertise, with directors and stakeholders who have been instrumental in developing telemedicine initiatives in Arkansas that address the state’s health disparities. IDHI has brought over 20 long-sustaining telemedicine and 10 distance education programs to rural providers and patients in Arkansas.
Role & Responsibilities
- Principal operating and financial officer for the Institute and is accountable to UAMS to ensure the delivery of optimal financial, budgetary and operational support
- Development and implementation of the annual budget includes expense budgeting and revenue projection related to appropriated, discretionary, endowment and gift revenues, as well as grants and contracts
- Ensures all reporting and tracking requirements are followed to comply with the rules of the contracting or granting entity and is responsible for compliance with all applicable UAMS rules and procedures
- Ensure financial obligations are met by preparing short- and long-range projections of financial status of division according to strategic initiatives as set by leadership group
- Oversight of payroll, purchasing, travel, and financial transactions
- Provides expertise and assistance to department regarding grant/contract preparation, budgeting and reporting
- Continually monitors the environment/market; develops and executes strategic and tactical goals that align with the overarching UAMS Vision 2029
- Oversees functions that may include, but are not limited to business development, administrative, and IT functions to include purchasing of supplies, materials, equipment, and software review/approval of professional services and other contractual agreements; establishment of quality improvement goals; and ensures compliance with UAMS policies
- Builds market position by locating, developing, defining, and maintaining long term business relationships
- Designs and implement systems for monitoring financial performance and delivery of quality medical services by providers
- Provides direction to leadership group for IDHI regarding current and future allocation of resources to ensure optimal performance at all levels of our program
- Oversees and ensure the compliance requirements are met for this division; ensure all revenue cycle functional requirements are met; ensure the functional requirements of our expansion efforts are achieved
- Responsible for departmental staff recruitment, hiring, supervision, training and performance management, as well as creating an operating environment where efficiency, effectiveness and service are priorities
- Communicates key information to the stakeholders with respect to marketplace needs, the competitive environment, cost management, and customer-focused services
The ideal candidate will have the following professional qualifications and personal characteristics:
- Master’s Degree in Business, Health Services Administration, Finance, or other related advanced degree
- 8 years of experience in leadership, management, operations, and finance
- 3 years of supervisory experience in a complex organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Good organizational skills having the ability to prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks simultaneously.
Preferred Professional Experience and Characteristics
- Experience working in telemedicine and/or health care delivery in an academic medical center
- Commitment to employee, environmental and patient safety and quality initiatives
- Strong commitment to interdisciplinary cooperation and learning
- Experience in operational and financial management and leadership in a hospital, academic health center, or group practice environment
- Experience writing and managing grants
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Passion for excellence
- Demonstrated ability to work in a matrixed organization with multiple lines of reporting
- Demonstrated record of promoting collaboration and cultivating strong internal and external relationships
- Capacity to embrace change with an appropriate respect for culture and tradition
- Analytical and intellectual skills to lead cogent planning and sound management systems
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity
- Motivator and mentor capable of developing strong teams and developing others
- Unquestioned personal integrity
How to Apply
Interested individuals are asked to submit their CV and a letter addressing their experiences that fulfill the criteria for this position to Julian Tunno, Manager of Executive and Faculty Recruitment at email@example.com. Contact Julian Tunno by phone at 501-686-2590.
Written nominations, inquiries, and applications (including emails) may be subject to disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UAMS is an inclusive Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and is committed to excellence.
Did You Know?
UAMS was founded in 1879 by eight physicians. Today UAMS is the state’s only academic health center, part of a statewide network of postsecondary education institutions of the University of Arkansas System governed by a 10-member Board of Trustees.
About the University
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) is the state’s only academic health sciences center, comprised of five health professions colleges (Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Health Professions, and Public Health), a graduate school, six institutes, eight Regional Centers (six of which include family medicine practices and residency programs), and a comprehensive Medical Center. Its College of Medicine has held a unique and vital role in Arkansas for more than 130 years. UAMS is the largest public employer in the state of Arkansas with more than 11,000 employees. UAMS and its clinical affiliates: Arkansas Children’s and the VA Medical Center, are an economic engine for the state with an annual economic impact of $3.92 billion. Centrally located within the state, UAMS’s Little Rock campus is a tertiary referral center and the only Level 1 adult Trauma Center and Comprehensive Stroke Center for Arkansas.