The Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN) is the recognized leader in fetal heart monitoring education. At the UAMS Institute for Digital Health & Innovation (IDHI) we are proud to be able to provide AWHONN’s Intermediate and Advanced Fetal Heart Monitoring Classes to all delivering hospitals in Arkansas. We offer an in-person format that is convenient, evidence-based and provides the essential tools needed to educate the entire perinatal team. Our commitment to reducing maternal mortality and morbidity throughout Arkansas is the driving force behind IDHI offering these programs to all our delivery hospitals.
Intermediate Fetal Monitoring
This two-day course is designed for the perinatal nurse who previously completed a basic fetal monitoring course and/or six months of clinical training in the labor and delivery setting. It uses didactic, hands-on, and collaborative learning throughout each day to provide a comprehensive learning environment. Once completed it is worth 18 CNE & 15.25 CME contact hours.
- Assess EFM tracings utilizing NICHD terminology
- Interpret EFM tracings, analyze uterine activity, and discuss contractions; impact on fetal oxygenation
- Describe clinical interventions and the related maternal-fetal physiology
- Effectively communicate patient data through verbal and documentation methods
- Describe roles and responsibilities of healthcare providers when using FHM in intrapartum care
Advanced Fetal Monitoring
This one day course is designed for perinatal nurses who have previously completed the AWHONN Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course. It uses didactic collaborative learning to provide a comprehensive learning environment. Once completed it is worth eight CNE and six CME contact hours.
- Prepare perinatal nurses to care for patients with complex fetal heart monitoring tracings
- Complex case studies that include recommended interventions
- Communication with colleagues
- Advanced principles of maternal-fetal physiology
If you would like more information or to schedule a class at your facility, please contact Shari Drakes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AWHONN is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. AWHONN also holds a California BRN number: California CNE provider #CEP580. Accredited status does not imply endorsement by AWHONN or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or discussed in conjunction with an activity.