The grant proposal will consist of five (5) required sections
- Cover Sheet
- Project Narrative
- Budget Justification
- Supporting Documentation
The cover sheet is limited to one single-spaced page containing the following information:
- Applicant Name
- Applicant Address
- Applicant Phone Number
- Applicant Email Address
- Applicant Tax ID or EIN Number
- Key Contact Person for matters related to this proposal
- Total Amount Requested
- One paragraph description of your proposal
Limit the Project Narrative to 15 single-spaced pages.
12-point Times New Roman font.
Introduction (up to 30 points)
Define your proposed service area by providing a boundary map and numerical, narrative, and/or illustrative responses for the following metrics:
- Define the percent of your service area that is unserved by 25/3 broadband for 95% of the time over a 24-hour period. (up to 15 points) (Suggested source: https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/#/)
- Define the percent of individuals in your proposed service area who are living in poverty according to the latest US Census estimates. (up to 5 points) (Suggested source: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/PST045219 – Type in location)
- Identify medically underserved areas within your service area by providing a map. (up to 5 points) (Suggested source: https://data.hrsa.gov/tools/shortage-area/mua-find)
- List Designated Opportunity Zones census tracts that fall within your proposed service area. (up to 5 points) (Suggested source: https://www.arkansasedc.com/opportunity-zones )
Description of need (up to 30 points)
- Staffing needs: Explain the expertise of your staff available to conduct the activities in your proposed broadband due diligence business plan and the deficiencies in your staff expertise to create such a plan.
- Population needs: Define the total population of your proposed service area and explain any other relevant demographic characteristics that establish need.
- Broadband needs: Explain the perceived deficiencies of broadband in the targeted area. Provide maps, quantitative data, and/or other evidence (to include anecdotal observations) to establish need. Explain who will benefit from enhanced broadband capacity and how they will benefit. Also, identify any broadband grants and/or loans, awarded to the applicant or its partners in the last two calendar years. For any grants or loans previously received, indicate the purpose and amount of the funds.
Additional questions specifically for non-profit applicants:
- Internet Service Provider relationship needs: Explain your relationship and past interactions with Internet Service Providers in both your targeted area (or those ISPs being considered to enter your targeted area). Explain whether Electric Cooperatives serving your targeted area have been or will be considered to provide broadband services in your targeted area.
Additional questions specifically for for-profit applicants:
- Financial needs: Please provide your total annual operating budget and describe why your organization cannot conduct the proposed broadband due diligence business plan without aid of this grant funding. In required supporting documents, provide your total annual operating budget and last completed annual report or pro forma.
- Community relationship needs: Explain your relationship and past interactions with the community leaders to be served in your targeted area. Explain and detail whether these community leaders have issued complaints or praise for your efforts in the targeted area.
Description of the plan (up to 25 points)
Describe your plans in completing the proposed broadband due diligence business plan. Each proposed activity should directly relate to the stated needs. If applicable, provide a list of consultants or vendors being considered for use in the development of such a plan. Also, provide goals and objectives that capture the expectations of your plan; indicate when each objective will be achieved; and provide a list of final products. Explain grants and funding opportunities you intend to target during or following the completion of the broadband due diligence business plan.
Provide an itemized six-month budget of your proposed activities using the OMB Form 424A, completing only Section B. Please also complete Section C if providing a match, cash or in-kind. Additional instructions are included with the OMB Form 424A.
Budget Justification (up to 15 points)
Using the “object class categories” in Section B of the OMB Form 424A, please provide a detailed budget justification describing each line item expense, all the expenses that comprise that line item, and their necessity to the project. If vendor quotes are available, please provide them as scanned images in your budget justification.
Supporting documents (up to 10 bonus points)
For non-profit applicants
- Letters of support from targeted area business owners, community anchor institutions, and individuals that would benefit from enhanced broadband infrastructure.
- Letters of support from Internet Service Providers or Electric Cooperatives that wish to enhance existing or bring new broadband services to the targeted area.
For for-profit applicants
- Letters of support from the local government officials whose communities would benefit from enhanced broadband infrastructure. These letters must describe satisfaction with your organization and the community’s willingness to engage in further broadband services with your organization.
- Letters of support from targeted area business owners, community anchor institutions, and individuals that would benefit from enhanced broadband infrastructure
- Last completed annual report or pro forma with financial details.